пятница, 16 декабря 2016 г.

Scarf Series

Scarf Series

I think I've become known as the 'scarf girl' since a mention came out in the New York Times that I liked to wear scarves in a multitude of ways. Blame it on the sheer power of NYT. Since that article, every day a scarf label seems to suddenly emerge out of nowhere in emails accompanied by the gentle push of "Let's see if we can work out a deal where you write about me and…" blah blah blah. Sadly it tends to be a bit of a deal breaker when they address me as 'Tavi' or 'Rumi', after a copy and paste mishap. Still, better for me to chase the scarves that float about than vice versa. It just so happens that four scarfy finds have come up simultaneously for me to earn the 'scarf girl' moniker.


…………………………………………………………………………..


On Tuesday, Grazia had their first Fash Factor competition. Replace the X with Fash, minus Simon Cowell and delusional singers and bung in the editors of Grazia plus a few guest judges such as myself, Jonathan Saunders and Jane Shepherdson. With one minute to pitch their label either wearing their own wares or an accompanying model, designers queued around the block to try and nab the chance of being featured in next week's Grazia. With a longer pitch, an uber bitchy-judge (we were all too mild-mannered perhaps…) and a TV show could be in the making. The winners have been announced and the runner-up in the accessories category was Ali Mapletoft, the designer behind scarf label Age of Reason. I missed her pitch but the judges mentioned the words 'bondage', 'Hermes-esque' and 'Russian Dolls'. After a poke around Age of Reason's blog, I found a wonderful pic of Ali herself wearing her scarves in a way that makes 'scarf girls' like myself most excited with glints of bondage chains and gimp-masked matryoshka dolls peeking from a swash of pale pink silk. Ali's designers references recognisable scarf designs and layouts with very different motif and subject matter, contorting the Hermes-esque flurries of chains and flowers into hand cuffs and sketches of saucier stuff (for a special range of Coco de Mer - one of the nicest places to shop for lingerie in London in my opinion). The geek in me niggles that with limited stockists, Age of Reason could do with e-commerce but I'm sure that will change once the Grazia piece comes out and a likely deluge of requests come her way.


SCARVES

Bondage_draw_blog

Pomme_Grey_Flat

Pomme_Grey_SML

Pug_Long

Pug_Long_Flat

Russ_Blue_Flat

Russ_Blue_LRG

Russ_Brown_LRG

Russ_Pink_Flat

…………………………………………………………………………..


Going to the Pitti event in Florence proved to be an opportunity to follow up on the designers I saw last time I was there, one of them being Pierre-Louis Mascia who still has mega cute vids on his website demonstrating bits of scarf wearing. For S/S 12, he continues to mix up different genres of prints – the traditional paisleys with the abstract marble strokes and florals, leopard and polka dot also thrown into the mix. Huge scarves come double sided and split up into panels and t-shirts made up of silk panels balance out these patterns together in a seemingly haphazhard way. Pierre-Louis has also added bags (with contrasting lining of course) and double sided blankets and towels to appropriately get into the homeware pie. I think I renacted a Lenor fabric conditioner advert at the stand when I took one of the blankets and rubbed it against my cheek, exclaiming how soft it was. Pierre-Louis might have been a bit scared that I was going to make off with it…


IMG_8546

IMG_8559

IMG_8560

IMG_8557

IMG_8553

IMG_8548

IMG_8552

IMG_8564

IMG_8566

…………………………………………………………………………..


I definitely haven't fogotten about Forget Me Not whose scarves mix geometrics, forest animals and vibrant colour palettes. Coco's illustration portfolio continues to become a rich source of inspiration and her scarves are one outlet of her drawings. Once restricting herself to large squares, for A/W 11, the collection expands to long rectangles that make knotting into make-shift dresses or skirts an even easier affair. The diamond shapes are definitely for fashioning into headbands. The added fringing on the heavier twill scarves make for warmer wrap-up options. For timing's sake though the image from Forget Me Not's S/S 11 campaign which has the model laid out on rectangular scarves as though they were beach towels is definitely inspiring for all my 'anticipated' (it may not happen…) Cornish beach laying and Hampstead Heath-lounging over the next few weeks.


Fmn

Forget-me-not-scarf-fashion-foulard-coco

IMG_4250

Forget-me-not-scarf-beach-babette-pauthier

…………………………………………………………………………..


Finally, this is a scarf tidbit that isn't really news but Marni's Foulard collection for A/W 11-12 is well and truly a welcome addition in so much that it's also supposed to be a slightly less expensive collection than its mainline. This isn't the first time Marni has done diffusion as, I think this is an additional diffusion collection, to accompany Marni's Edition line which I only just recently discvered in Browns. Consuelo Castiglioni describes the Foulard line a a 'flirtatious little love poem' in comparison to the mainline collection novel which only makes the collection even more enticing. Not that I need poetic persuasion when Castiglioni mixes these graphic printed silks with ease and skill. The "Let's see how many colours and patterns we can fit into one ensemble" is a dangerous game to play but Castiglioni knows when the clash produces far too much noise which leaves it far too tempting for the likes of me to make these pieces an even louder affair.


Marnifoulard


Original article and pictures take www.stylebubble.co.uk site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий